Instead of buying one big gift, gather a bunch of small, meaningful gifts that will add that extra element to your next adventure. Make the items custom and meaningful. Below we've compiled the ingredients for 5 DIY Adventure Gift Baskets that will encourage you and yours to create memories of a lifetime.
1. DIY Romantic Getaway
Let’s be real: it’s every mountaineers fantasy to receive a trip itinerary as a gift, but this type of present can range from a low cost camping trip to a more luxurious cabin vacation. If your budget dictates the outing, it’s time to get creative. Plan a full-out adventure trip, complete with activities, choice hiking trails, and pre-paid lodging/reservations. For a few items that aren't so high-ticket, see below:
Disposable camera. These are great because you'll spend less time worrying about Instagramming them, and more time wondering how to spend the precious 24 exposures.
Flight cocktail kit to make the plane ride a little more fun
Empty scrapbook (bonus points if you present the scrapbook with a printed itinerary on the first page)
Don't go too crazy with the basket if you're spending a bit on the trip. Best part: if you’re on a budget, you can plan this trip for a few weeks or months ahead and save up to spoil your sweetie.
2. DIY Camping Gift Basket
This package can include anything that will enhance your next camping trip. Be creative with this and have fun! Here are some of our fun suggestions:
- DIY Roadtrip playlist like this one, printed out on a card, synced to their Spotify, or burned to a CD
- Printed hiking maps in a waterproof plastic baggie, ready to go
- Their favorite chocolate bars they can pack in their bag
- Empty picture frame for you to fill
- Pack of playing cards
- Slingshot to keep them entertained in the wilderness
- Pack of lighters to light the campfire
- Low-cost gear item, such as a flashlight or headlamp
- 6-pack of their favorite beer
- New book for them to enjoy
- Sunscreen & bug spray
3. DIY Camping Toiletries Pack
Having your favorite bathroom products packed in lightweight, ready-to-go containers is always convenient when packing for your big camping trip. Go to Target or another retailer and buy a bunch of your mountaineer’s favorite product minis. You can also buy containers to hold all the products that don’t offer travel sizes. Some things to include in the toiletries bag would be:
- Mini travel mirror
- Tissue packs
- Lip Balm (we like homemade lip balm, but if you don’t have time to DIY check out BATHVS)
- Hand lotion
- Beard balm
- Baby wipes
- Tampons/menstrual cups
- Bug spray
- Foldable toothbrush
- Mini toothpaste
- Anything else that might be important to them
4. DIY Picnic Basket
Is your significant other particularly obsessed with food? Why not combine their favorite activity of the day with a lovely adventure? Pick out their favorite delicatessens, a bottle of wine, and hit the road. For the feast, you can find a pick a favorite spot by a body of water, or the top of a mountain viewing your favorite vista. These are the things we recommend you packing up for them:
- A Picnic Blanket: You can use an old blanket, or grab a fancy one like this.
- A Picnic Basket: You can buy a fancy one like this, or throw everything in your backpack
- Some utensils (a bread knife, a few butter knives, forks, and spoons)
- A wine key
- Food Recommendations:
- Bottle of wine or some beers
- Local bread
- Cured meats: Salami, prosciutto, capicola
- Delicious cheeses: Remember the saying, “Something old, something new, something goat, something blue.”
- Spreads: Olive tapenade, jam, artichoke spread, mustard, ect.
- Trail mix or some tasty nuts
- Fruit: Grapes, apples, pears, ect.
- Homemade salad: Pasta salad, potato salad, or just some simple greens
- Something sweet for dessert: We recommend baking something special, like cookies, or you can grab something pre-made from the store
5. DIY Winter Survival Basket
Sometimes winter can be hard. Help prepare your loved one for the winter by putting together any winter survival items that will help them through. With anything, you know what they like best, but we here are some recommendations for you:
- A hand knit hat or scarf, or you can find one on Etsy
- A fuzzy blanket to wrap around them when you get inside after your next wintery outdoor adventure
- Their favorite tea bags and some local honey. Or if you want to introduce them to an amazing new flavor, try Constant Comment.
- An oversized mug to fill up with warm beverages
- A lightweight hiking thermos to bring with you on your winter hikes
- A hot water bottle to bring with you on camping trips during the colder months, or to help warm up your bed on chilly nights
- Red wine and mulling spices to help get you through the winter months
- A pair of wool hiking socks to keep their toes warm
- Toe Warmers
Seriously, don't give up on making a meaningful gift quite yet. The best gift you can possibly give a loved one is time itself, and any combination of these gift baskets encourages adventure and lots of memories.
Have you made an adventure-inspired gift for someone? Let us know in the comments!
Mountain Things is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. We would never direct our readers to purchase any goods that we ourselves would not use.
If you feel misled by a product recommendation, we welcome any and all feedback. Please use the contact form on the "About" page.